1. Paint the inside and outside of a small basswood box and set it aside to dry. Sand the outside of the box and paint a second coat. Let dry completely.
2. Measure the top of the box and cut your paint by number design so that it is 1/4 inch smaller in height and width than the overall size of the box.
3. Center then glue the paint by number to the top of the box.
4. Measure then cut 1/4 inch strips from the sections of paint by number that remain to attach to the sides of the box lid. Glue in place.
5. Line the box with felt or fabric if desired. Glue to secure.