Creating a college is fun and easy to do. There is not right or wrong
way to place embellishments as colleges take the personality of their
creators. A tip we do is to cut out/ around embellishments while they
are still on the release paper. This keeps the embellishments from
sticking and allows movement around the project.
1. Disassemble store bought frame. Clean glass if need with glass
2. Select a pattern and cut designer paper to an 8x8”
size with trimmer (outer pattern). Use trimmer to cut down white mat to
a 7x7” size. Cut a second printed paper to 5 x 5” with trimmer.
Adhere the 5” x 5” paper behind the mat so print can be seen through
mats opening. Centered the mat on the 8x8” designer paper--leaving
designer paper showing around outside edges of mat. Adhere in place
with permanent dots.
3. Tear small segments of designer paper;
brush with thin coat of watered down acrylic paint to give a bleached or
aged appearance to the paper; Let paint dry. Adhere to selected area
of mat with permanent dots.
4. Select coordinating themed
chipboard, acetate accents. Position accents onto mat. The corners of
the mats opening is a great place to accent.
5. To give texture
to a piece adhere a scrap of burlap with dot adhesive and layer a
coordinating embellishment on top.
6. Reassemble frame with all
layers, mat and glass.
7. Hang all four frames in linear or
8. If preferred, increase the height of the
dimensional embellishments and omit glass cover.