1. Follow the instructions for stitching the baby quilt design. The yo-yo border will be added as described below.
2. Prewash, dry, then iron the fabric fat quarters.
3. Use a die cutting machine or a circle template and scissors to cut the following pieces from the fabrics. Plan a mix of sizes from each fabric for variety. NOTE: Patterns for the yo-yo circles can be downloaded here to cut the pieces by hand, if desired.
You will need:
• (30) 2.5" circles
• (24) 3" circles
• (12) 3.5" circles
• (24) 4" circles
• (30) 5.5" circles
• (12) 6" circles
4. To create a yo-yo, thread your sewing needle with a length of thread and knot the end. Working 1/4" inside the edge of the circle, sew a running or basting stitch around the perimeter, making your stitches about 1/4" long. Next, with the back of the fabric facing you, pull the thread to gather and draw the circle edge to the center with the right side of the fabric out. Your yo-yo has now taken shape. Knot the end of the thread to secure. Repeat for all fabric circles.
5. To assemble, lay the quilt flat and arrange your yo-yos around the edge, overlapping and layering as you go and making sure your spacing is correct for the number of yo-yos you have. Tack each in place with a few stitches.